Pietenpol-List: Two questions...

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Two questions...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> AirCampr(at)aol.com
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Two questions...>>>----------
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Two questions...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Doug Hunt
I got my plans in the mail a few days ago, and was under the impression thatthe plans would include how to carve your own propellor. They don't. Cansomeone tell me where to find this info, as the official info kit/mini-catalog does not mention carving a prop.Richard________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> AirCampr(at)aol.com
matronics

Post by matronics »

What is Warp Drive? I would like to carve my prop too. Craig Aho did itand he said it took him about 45 hours. His first try and it came out fine.Has anyone else carved one? How long did it take and how did it go?Thanks,Brent ReedKent WA-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Brad Schultz
Richard,Sport Aviation Magazine, from EAA lists propeller carving in the classifiedsection at the end of each issue. Eric Clutton, who I think lives inTennessee, has a little book on carving your own propeller. If you have aKitplanes issue with the aircraft directory, December or January issue, Ithink, look for Eric as the designer of a plane called "Fred." That standsfor Flying, Roadable something-or-other. It''s a good book with just theright amount of theory and practical information. Good luck!________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Thats good to know, but I am about 99% sure I will be using a Corvair engine. Now what? :)ThanksRichard> Orrin Hoopman who is in Austin, MN and sells the original plans to the Piet also> sells a plan to carve a prop for the Model A. Maybe that's what you were> thinking. If you want his address let me know and I will dig it up. Think he> charges six bucks.> > AirCampr(at)aol.com wrote:> > > I got my plans in the mail a few days ago, and was under the impression that> > the plans would include how to carve your own propellor. They don't. Can> > someone tell me where to find this info, as the official info kit/mini-catalog> > does not mention carving a prop.> >> > Richard> > > > -----------------------------http://www.wrld.com/w3builderPietenpols, Electronic Music,Website Design, Stompilation________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: rdecosta(at)autoeurope.com (Richard DeCosta)
Orrin Hoopman who is in Austin, MN and sells the original plans to the Piet alsosells a plan to carve a prop for the Model A. Maybe that's what you werethinking. If you want his address let me know and I will dig it up. Think hecharges six bucks.AirCampr(at)aol.com wrote:> I got my plans in the mail a few days ago, and was under the impression that> the plans would include how to carve your own propellor. They don't. Can> someone tell me where to find this info, as the official info kit/mini-catalog> does not mention carving a prop.>> Richard________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Richard DeCosta
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
>Richard,>Sport Aviation Magazine, from EAA lists propeller carving in the classified>section at the end of each issue. Eric Clutton, who I think lives in>Tennessee, has a little book on carving your own propeller. If you have a>Kitplanes issue with the aircraft directory, December or January issue, I>think, look for Eric as the designer of a plane called "Fred." That stands>for Flying, Roadable something-or-other. It''s a good book with just the>right amount of theory and practical information. Good luck!I carve mine (5 props up to date) using this Eric Clutton's book, The firstone was carved complete but is difficult to get both side exactly the same,since then all of them were carved only one side, then duplicated using theGary McGill=B4s carving pantograf (sp.), then finished with lots of love= andpatience.Is great to carve, balance and test a propeller....Wrap Drive is only as interesting as signing your credit card charge :-)Saludos Sail Almost ready!=09EAA Chapter 1039 President ggower(at)informador.com.mx ~1,800 VW 2 place "Gtub"(80%)(own design)FAI= legalGuadalajara, Jalisco, MEXICO Ultralight (248 Kg dry)Chapala Aerodrome Alt 4,997 asl N 20=BA19.506' W 103=BA08.203' (Got the= GPS!) "Cuando inducimos a alguien a nuestro deporte debemos ser firmes tambien enque mantenga optimo su estado fisico, entrenamiento y aeronave" - Julian= Taber(When we involve anyone else in our flying we should be held to a higherstandard in term of physical health, trainnig and airplane maintenance. -Julian Taber)________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Warren D. Shoun"
Gary,How did you aquire your prop carving pantograph? Does Gary McGill se=ll themsomewhere?Thanks,Brent Reed-----Original Message-----46rom: Gary Gower Date: Tuesday, November 25, 1997 3:52 PMSubject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Two questions...>Richard,>Sport Aviation Magazine, from EAA lists propeller carving in the cla=ssified>section at the end of each issue. Eric Clutton, who I think lives i=n>Tennessee, has a little book on carving your own propeller. If youhave a>Kitplanes issue with the aircraft directory, December or January iss=ue, I>think, look for Eric as the designer of a plane called "Fred." That= stands>for Flying, Roadable something-or-other. It''s a good book with jus=t the>right amount of theory and practical information. Good luck!I carve mine (5 props up to date) using this Eric Clutton's book, Th=e firstone was carved complete but is difficult to get both side exactly the= same,since then all of them were carved only one side, then duplicated usi=ng theGary McGill=B4s carving pantograf (sp.), then finished with lots oflove andpatience.Is great to carve, balance and test a propeller....Wrap Drive is only as interesting as signing your credit card charge:-)SaludosabreSailEAA 280015 1/2 VW trike w/Sabre Sail borrowed Almost ready!EAA Chapter 1039 Presidentggower(at)informador.com.mx ~1,800 VW 2 place "Gtub"(80%)(own design)=FAIlegalGuadalajara, Jalisco, MEXICO Ultralight (248 Kg dry)Chapala Aerodrome Alt 4,997 asl N 20=BA19.506' W 103=BA08.203' (Got= the GPS!)"Cuando inducimos a alguien a nuestro deporte debemos ser firmes tamb=ien enque mantenga optimo su estado fisico, entrenamiento y aeronave" - Jul=ianTaber(When we involve anyone else in our flying we should be held to a hig=herstandard in term of physical health, trainnig and airplane maintenanc=e. -Julian Taber)________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: Two questions...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Warren D. Shoun"
It is made from plans I bought them more than 10 years ago, there were (atthat time) from Kite Industries of Arizona (havent hear from them in years),at present Gary McGill (?) sells them (maybe is the same because is alsofrom Glendale, AZ). I have not seen this plans (McGills) but I think theyare the same. There is an add in Sport Aviation's Clasified every so often:"NEVER BUY ANOTHER PROPELLER- Build our propeller carving machine for $50.00or less. Made from wood and common hardware. Will make any lenght or pitchprop. Complete blueprints and instructions.- $15.00 Gary McGill Dpt A-5 PO Box 2566, Glendale, AZ 85311-2566".My carving machine has gone to several "improvements" for precission inthese years (conterbalance, hinges (sp?), metal table, bigger rolers, etc).I have already designed 5 props from the Eric Cluttons book, and modified 4(pitch value), and "copied" more than 50 for the local UL pilots. Its agreat "toy-tool" It is very inexpensive to built the props (use therecomended wood in USA from the book) there you can built a prop for aboutUS$ 25.00 to $40.00 including the Resorsinol(r) or the epoxy glue, I recievea $ 100.00 "donation" for each (here we can not get sued for a faulty prop:-) like in the US (we are not used to "disclaimers"). Thanks God all have been great props up to date (Knock on wood :-).If you built your plane, your engine. Why not built the propeller?Here we are at 4,097 ft ASL so when we go to sea level (twice a year) incross country I take an extra prop for sea level flying, my torque wrenchand safety wire.... all extra is only fun.With my personal experience, since your 3rd prop they will be almost perfect(in pitch and in beauty) but since the first one will work fine, only youwill be more "perfectionist" with your work. Please have fun and lots ofpatience with the finishing and balance.I feel like I am making a piece of fine art with each one....SaludosGary Gower >Gary,>>How did you aquire your prop carving pantograph? Does Gary McGill sell= them>somewhere?>>Thanks,>Brent Reed>-----Original Message----->From: Gary Gower >To: Pietenpol Discussion >Date: Tuesday, November 25, 1997 3:52 PM>Subject: Re: Two questions...>>>>Richard,>>Sport Aviation Magazine, from EAA lists propeller carving in the= classified>>section at the end of each issue. Eric Clutton, who I think lives in>>Tennessee, has a little book on carving your own propeller. If you have a>>Kitplanes issue with the aircraft directory, December or January issue, I>>think, look for Eric as the designer of a plane called "Fred." That= stands>>for Flying, Roadable something-or-other. It''s a good book with just the>>right amount of theory and practical information. Good luck!>>>I carve mine (5 props up to date) using this Eric Clutton's book, The= first>one was carved complete but is difficult to get both side exactly the same,>since then all of them were carved only one side, then duplicated using the>Gary McGill=B4s carving pantograf (sp.), then finished with lots of love= and>patience.>>Is great to carve, balance and test a propeller....>>Wrap Drive is only as interesting as signing your credit card charge :-)>>Saludos>>Sail>EAA 280015 1/2 VW trike w/Sabre Sail borrowed Almost ready!>EAA Chapter 1039 President>ggower(at)informador.com.mx ~1,800 VW 2 place "Gtub"(80%)(own design)FAI>legal>Guadalajara, Jalisco, MEXICO Ultralight (248 Kg dry)>>Chapala Aerodrome Alt 4,997 asl N 20=BA19.506' W 103=BA08.203' (Got the= GPS!)>>"Cuando inducimos a alguien a nuestro deporte debemos ser firmes tambien en>que mantenga optimo su estado fisico, entrenamiento y aeronave" - Julian>Taber>>(When we involve anyone else in our flying we should be held to a higher>standard in term of physical health, trainnig and airplane maintenance. ->Julian Taber)>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Two questions...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Brent Reed
> > I got my plans in the mail a few days ago, and was under the impressionthat> the plans would include how to carve your own propellor. They don't. Can> someone tell me where to find this info, as the official infokit/mini-catalog> does not mention carving a prop.> > RichardWarp Drive will do it for you,and the first one should do it.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>> Two questions...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: ADonJr(at)aol.com
>>>> I got my plans in the mail a few days ago, and was under the impression>that>> the plans would include how to carve your own propellor. They don't. Can>> someone tell me where to find this info, as the official info>kit/mini-catalog>> does not mention carving a prop.>>>> Richard>Warp Drive will do it for you,and the first one should do it.>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: Two questions...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: michael list
> > Thats good to know, but I am about 99% sure I will be using a Corvair > engine. Now what? :)> > Thanks> > Richard> > > Orrin Hoopman who is in Austin, MN and sells the original plans to thePiet also> > sells a plan to carve a prop for the Model A. Maybe that's what youwere> > thinking. If you want his address let me know and I will dig it up. Think he> > charges six bucks.> > > > AirCampr(at)aol.com wrote:> > > > > I got my plans in the mail a few days ago, and was under theimpression that> > > the plans would include how to carve your own propellor. They don't.Can> > > someone tell me where to find this info, as the official infokit/mini-catalog> > > does not mention carving a prop.> > >> > > Richard> > > > > > > > > -----------------------------> http://www.wrld.com/w3builder> Pietenpols, Electronic Music,> Website Design, StompilationIf you are going to use the corvair engine,i would consider using anadjustable prop such as the "WARP DRIVE" carbon fiber unit .That way youwill buy 1 prop,and it can be adjusted to allow max per.of your engine.Ifyou buy a fixed pitch prop and it loads the engine to heavy,you hang it onthe wall and buy another prop,no economy their!.....Doug.....________________________________________________________________________________