Pietenpol-List: Wire Spoked Wheels

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Wright
To all you tall spokes folks out there, I salute you! Can any of youtell us how much your wire spoked wheels weigh, with or without tiresand brakes? Thanks.Mike List________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Wire Spoked Wheels

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
Dear Mike: My Honda Trail 90 wheel with 9 guage stainless steel spokes andDunlop F17-100/90 tire & tube, with mechanical brakes & axel, weighs 17.5pounds and is 24 5/8" tall by 3 3/4" wide.michael list wrote:> To all you tall spokes folks out there, I salute you! Can any of you> tell us how much your wire spoked wheels weigh, with or without tires> and brakes? Thanks.> Mike List________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Wire Spoked Wheels

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Beanlands
Dear Mike: My Honda Trail 90 wheel with 9 guage stainless steel spokes andDunlop F17-100/90 tire & tube, with mechanical brakes & axel, weighs17.5pounds and is 24 5/8" tall by 3 3/4" wide.michael list wrote:> To all you tall spokes folks out there, I salute you! Can any ofyou> tell us how much your wire spoked wheels weigh, with or withouttires> and brakes? Thanks.> Mike List>I am curious about your brake system. I took pictures and thought itvery clever. What kind of 'feel' do you get with the strangely bentarmsat the brake? Is it soft during the first 1/4" pedal travel, slightlystiffer for>the second 1/4" travel & then brick wall the last 1/4"? Is thebrakingeffort similar to pedal feel or does it take more force in the last1/4"?8080,8080,8080I took the lazy way out to routemycables to those oddly bentactuation lever arms and I had slack in the cables that shouldn't havebeen there....but the big trip was upon me so I skipped that workuntillater. The brakes don't do much till the last part of the travelbecauseof the slack cables, but when they get there they work fine.On grass I only use them for run-up but on all the paved strips Ilanded at on the trip I used them alot. They are racing go-cartmechanicaldisc brakes by I think Comet. Probably on the net somewhere.Found mine at a lawn mower shop. About 38 $ a side. The heelbrakes are just like you'd find on an Aeronca Champ but not castalum. just 4130 steel welded up versions. No complaints- they workfine as is but could be improved upon as you could see without toomuch work. The angle I'm pulling on the lever is certainly not aseffective as it could be but I love to drive the mechanical engineersinto fits with this kind of setup ! :)________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:49:36 -0600 (MDT)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: clawler
Thanks to all the guys who provided the weights and other details ontheir wire spoked wheels. Helps me with the weight and balancespreadsheet for the Piet and the design of my 80% scale WWI Albatross DIfighter (uses the same size wheels)!Mike List________________________________________________________________________________