Pietenpol-List: Honda engine

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Honda engine

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jkahn(at)picasso.dehavilland.ca (John Kahn)
Any feedback on using the CAM Honda conversion in an Piet? It weighs around240 lbs and puts out around 100 hp.I just feel it would be more reliable than a flat head.Website http://www.eclipsecat.comThe home of Advantage Software the makers of Eclipse________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Honda engine

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Sayre, William G"
The CAM conversion is pretty expensive in the end, as are the soob conversions once you pay for all the reduction drive stuff.Ironically I think the cheapest way to go is with one of the small continentals, or the model A/B.The Ford engine is pretty reliable, and has a very robust lookingforged crank with a huge bearing at the propeller end, just like a...well..an aircraft engine. I have not heard of them coming apart internally...One engine I would like to use is Model B engine (which has an evenbeefier crank with full pressure lube) and which can be made to produceover 60 hp. It was a certificated engine in the prewar Funk airplanes.johnkBombardier Inc.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

"I just feel it would be more reliable than a flat head."It's funny how often we hear that the old Ford engines are unreliableand yet the most common failure is with the one aircraft part mounted tothat engine....the mag!Bill________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> "Sayre, William G"
> From Steve(at)byu.edu Thu Jan 8 15:03:00 1998> Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 11:57:47 -0800
matronics

Post by matronics »

The old Ford engines do have breathing problems but the low rpm, and that long rear main bearing to handle gyroscopic loads sure make the direct drive viable. Simplicity!I always thought the Datsun had dual plugs for emmission reasons. I think they turned off one set at higher manifold pressures. ?Sure do like my Honda Civic though its so damn reliable I call it the fridge. Use it forget it! Now does that reliability move with the engine to the airframe?????J Mc________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
> > The old Ford engines do have breathing problems but the low rpm, and > that long rear main bearing to handle gyroscopic loads sure make the > direct drive viable. Simplicity!> I always thought the Datsun had dual plugs for emmission reasons. I > think they turned off one set at higher manifold pressures. ?> Sure do like my Honda Civic though its so damn reliable I call it the > fridge. Use it forget it! Now does that reliability move with the If you go to the Ford links on the Piet web site you canfind an article by a fella that got the Model A up to65 HP with the right head carb combination. That's atabout 2300 RPM, still plently low enough for a good sizeprop.On a NAPS-Z engine I would use the dual plug head but dispense with the dual head ignition rotor in favour ofa true dual ignition installation, say a normal distributor in the distributor hole and a mag driven somewhere else.The other nice thing about the Datsun engine is the cam is driven by a duplex roller chain instead of a belt.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> > "Sayre, William G"
John Kahn wrote:> > From Steve(at)byu.edu Thu Jan 8 15:03:00 1998> > Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 11:57:47 -0800
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Steve Eldredge
> From Steve(at)byu.edu Thu Jan 8 16:54:10 1998> Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 14:49:06 -0700
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: baileys(at)ktis.net (Robert M. Bailey)
> > Hey I thought I was the only one with this dream! I have had four> nissan pick-ups and loved each one. We drove them for 100k + miles and> sell it and buy a new one. Currently I own a 90' Nissan with the Z24> engine 4 cyl 134hp 93K miles and runs like a top. Even if I did run it> out of gas last night on the hiway.> > Stevee> >Ooops... finger trouble on the last post...If it makes 134 hp, probably in the upper 3000 rpm range being a truck engine, it should easily manage 70 hp or better at 2500 donchathink? I'dlove to get the power curve for that motor.Wonder what it weighs stripped down?johnk________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re:

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ian Holland
PHIL PECK wrote:> > I only have one question . does anyone else have trouble with their> explorer browser when someone adds an attachment to the piet disscussion> group or is it just me!!!!Yes, me tooBob Bailey________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re:

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Robert M. Bailey
Mine works OK.
matronics

> Re: Honda engine

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> > > "Sayre, William G"
matronics

> Re:

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: clawler
> > PHIL PECK wrote:> > > > I only have one question . does anyone else have trouble with their> > explorer browser when someone adds an attachment to the pietdisscussion> > group or is it just me!!!!> Yes, me too> Bob Bailey________________________________________________________________________________