Pietenpol-List: wing dihedral and radiators

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: wing dihedral and radiators

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Warren D. Shoun"
Hi fellow piet builders,I'm currently building an "A" powered piet with a friend, and I have a fewquestions. Has anyone had any luck putting the radiator in front like an Jenny? How is dihedral put into the three piece wing and is it nessesary? I'vethought of cutting the center spars to give about 3/8 inch dihedral at thewing tip.Thanks.....mike ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: wing dihedral and radiators

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: scherer2(at)airmail.net (Glenn Scherer)
I have a radiator on the nose of my Ford Fiesta Piet - about 125 sq. in. with2 inch cores - there isn't a lot of room up there for much more. Perhaps dueto the flat faced nose or the proximity to the prop, not enough cool airpassed through the radiator; in fact the coolant boiled out on me (literally)on the first flight and on a number of times afterward while I tried variousmodifications. Finally, I added a radiator of about 60 sq. in. under thefuselage in series with the one in the nose and the engine has been happy forover 300 hours. Some people have told me that some of the old Jennies weresimilarly modified, though I haven't seen one.Jim Malley________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ted Brousseau
Mpj01 wrote:> > Hi fellow piet builders,> I'm currently building an "A" powered piet with a friend, and I have a few> questions.> Has anyone had any luck putting the radiator in front like an Jenny?> How is dihedral put into the three piece wing and is it nessesary? I've> thought of cutting the center spars to give about 3/8 inch dihedral at the> wing tip.> Thanks.....> mikeHi Mike,With the help of two friends and 1" x 2" support structure under eachwing we first leveled the wing. The center section carry-through sparsand root spars of both wings were cut to allow for dihedral. Next 1degree was calculated and the end of the wing lifted to that dimension(what ever it was I don't remember now. But more importantly and I haveyet to perform this is to add (and I have to check this out yet ) is a 1to 1 and Half degree washout. This will help with the Pietenpol suddenStall Characteristic. I'm told that because of the high wing design itdoes not have the normal fuselage to wing root connection to help with amore gentle stall characteristic, and if there is no washout the wingstalls all at once. Some people install a stall bar about a foot in fromthe center fittings on both leading edges. Anyway if you do any futherhomework on this subject please let me know.Domenic BellissimoDCSBell(at)netcom.ca________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Mpj01
Jim, Thanks for your reply. I've seen photos of your plane and it's even onKim Strikers Broadhead video. Looks very nice. Do you think you'll fly thereagain?Mike________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Doug Hunt
Domenic,Thanks for your reply. I plan on visiting with Don pietenpol this afternoon,I live about 20 miles away from him. I have a few other questions for him aswell. If I find anything out I'll get back to you.mike________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: wing dihedral and radiators

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Dean Dayton
Jim, Could you give us some more info about your Fiesta installation. What kind of ignition system, prop reduction, electrical system(?), etc.>Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 21:20:55 -0500 (EST)>From: GMalley >Subject: Re: wing dihedral and radiators>To: Pietenpol Discussion >Reply-to: Pietenpol Discussion >>I have a radiator on the nose of my Ford Fiesta Piet - about 125 sq. in. with>2 inch cores - there isn't a lot of room up there for much more. Perhaps due>to the flat faced nose or the proximity to the prop, not enough cool air>passed through the radiator; in fact the coolant boiled out on me (literally)>on the first flight and on a number of times afterward while I tried various>modifications. Finally, I added a radiator of about 60 sq. in. under the>fuselage in series with the one in the nose and the engine has been happy for>over 300 hours. Some people have told me that some of the old Jennies were>similarly modified, though I haven't seen one.>>Jim Malley>Dean Dayton - deandayton(at)hotmail.com________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Alan Swanson
>But more importantly and I have>yet to perform this is to add (and I have to check this out yet ) is a 1>to 1 and Half degree washout. This will help with the Pietenpol sudden>Stall Characteristic. I'm told that because of the high wing design it>does not have the normal fuselage to wing root connection to help with a>more gentle stall characteristic, and if there is no washout the wing>stalls all at once. Some people install a stall bar about a foot in from>the center fittings on both leading edges. Anyway if you do any futher>homework on this subject please let me know.>>Domenic Bellissimo>DCSBell(at)netcom.ca>I attended a Pietenpol discussion at Oshkosh a couple of years ago. In it Vi Kapler recommended about 3/8 in washout. He said that Bernie did not think that this was necessary, but that he thought it made the stall characteristics better.Dean Dayton - deandayton(at)hotmail.com________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Beanlands
Dean Dayton wrote:> > >But more importantly and I have> >yet to perform this is to add (and I have to check this out yet ) is a> 1> >to 1 and Half degree washout. This will help with the Pietenpol sudden> >Stall Characteristic. I'm told that because of the high wing design it> >does not have the normal fuselage to wing root connection to help with> a> >more gentle stall characteristic, and if there is no washout the wing> >stalls all at once. Some people install a stall bar about a foot in> from> >the center fittings on both leading edges. Anyway if you do any futher> >homework on this subject please let me know.> >> >Domenic Bellissimo> >DCSBell(at)netcom.ca> >> I attended a Pietenpol discussion at Oshkosh a couple of years ago. In> it Vi Kapler recommended about 3/8 in washout. He said that Bernie did> not think that this was necessary, but that he thought it made the stall> characteristics better.> > Dean Dayton - deandayton(at)hotmail.com> Thanks Dean for the information. I'll do some math and see what 3/8"yields in degrees.Regards, Domenic________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Domenico Bellissimo