Pietenpol-List: Plywood: Follow-up

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Plywood: Follow-up

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Warren D. Shoun"
Thanks for the great info, but, how can I know if something I want to use in my plane is certified and insurable? Does every piece of the plane need to be certified and insurable, or is there a list of things that need to be?Richard> some of the best "stuff" that you will ever see. HOWEVER, IT IS NOT> CERTIFIED AND IS NOT INSURED. -----------------------------http://www.wrld.com/w3builderPietenpols, Electronic Music,Website Design, Stompilation________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Warren D. Shoun"
Hi Guys: If anyone does go to the http://www.aitwood.com site, go to the"ultra thin plywood" portion of the catalogue. This is where the goodstuff is listed.Warren________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: rdecosta(at)autoeurope.com (Richard DeCosta)
Hi Richard: Ian's comments are right-on in all respects...especially with regardto the available instructional material from EAA, and on the resaledocumentation issue. Having said that, Aircraft Spruce is in my backyard and I have hasseveral discussions with them...and other local builders. The big issue on certification is very much related to legalinsurance standards. Most suppliers buy the same high-grade BalticBirch multiply plywood from Finland that you can get from specialtysupply shops for tool & die, and architectural model makers. Theythen provide some type of "certification" and pay for the liabilityinsurance, in case there is a structural failure and your family acceptsthe business card from the friendly Products Liability lawyer at the endof the cemetery driveway. That the quality of this plywood is leagues above the $14.00 stuffis a MAJOR understatement. It is completely free of voids, knots andimperfections thru and thru, and is glued up under a "heat-treatment"type of process. It is certified for uniform glue spreading andveneer thickness. I can refer you to an importer hot here that hassome of the best "stuff" that you will ever see. HOWEVER, IT IS NOTCERTIFIED AND IS NOT INSURED. Anderson International Trading. 1171 N. Tustin Avenue, Anaheim,Calif. 92807-1736 (714) 666-8183: 1-800-454-6270:http://www.aitwood.com. On the catalogue web-page, go to the"ultra-thin plywood" section. This is where the good stuff islisted. Example: 1/8" 5 ply is $55.82 for a 61" X 61" sheet, plus aminimum of $10.00 UPS handling charge and will be cut exactly in half,with the face grain or across, as per your instructions. This really is beautiful stuff. A 2" X 4" X 1/8" piece oflumberyard stuff can be broken over my bench vice by hand. I had anextremely difficult breaking this stuff with a mallet. From my own research, this is the highest quality birch plywoodavailable. These folks have this material from 3 ply 1/64" up to 12 ply15/64". ONCE AGAIN, IT IS NOT CERTIFIED AND IS NOT INSURED. However, this is what I chose after making some in person, piece bypiece comparisons, without regard to the cost. I know that I won't bekissing my butt good-bye because of a material failure here. Hope this helps. Warren________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Domenico Bellissimo
Richard DeCosta wrote:> > Thanks for the great info, but, how can I know if something I want to> use in my plane is certified and insurable? Does every piece of the> plane need to be certified and insurable, or is there a list of> things that need to be?> > Richard> > > some of the best "stuff" that you will ever see. HOWEVER, IT IS NOT> > CERTIFIED AND IS NOT INSURED.> > -----------------------------> http://www.wrld.com/w3builder> Pietenpols, Electronic Music,> Website Design, StompilationRichard, The aircraft grade plywood has an aircraft inspector's stampall over the sheet. Also your receipt will specify the certification.It's the retail version of the 'certificate of compliance', normallyissued to the retailler by the manufacturer. Hope this is helpfull.Regards, Domenic________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Domenico Bellissimo
Richard DeCosta wrote:> > Thanks for the great info, but, how can I know if something I want to> use in my plane is certified and insurable? Does every piece of the> plane need to be certified and insurable, or is there a list of> things that need to be?> > Richard> > > some of the best "stuff" that you will ever see. HOWEVER, IT IS NOT> > CERTIFIED AND IS NOT INSURED.> > -----------------------------> http://www.wrld.com/w3builder> Pietenpols, Electronic Music,> Website Design, StompilationOh yes, One more thing I forgot to mention. There will be areas on thefuselage that require large gussets. Try to cut out a piece for theselarger gussets that have the inspection stamp showing. Then you canprove to your aircraft (FAA) inspector that you did use certifiedmaterial.Later, Domenic________________________________________________________________________________