Pietenpol-List: Latex fabric finishing method

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Latex fabric finishing method

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Malcolm Morrison
A little late, but as requested here is my experience using latex paint on my aircamper.Sadly, before you can paint, you must cover that beautiful wooden creation with fabric.I found that the most helpful resource is the Poly-Fiber covering manual. It cost me $5 at the time, but even at the current price of $10 it is still the greatest covering deal around. I poured throught that manual several times to get my questions answered. I even called Norm at Poly Fiber about a question regarding reinforcement tapes and he was very helpfull and unhurried. I followed the Poly-Fiber manual with care up to the point where you are instructed to poly-brush the entire weave of the fabric to seal the weave. I also choose to use the generic fabric from Aircraft spruce rather than the more expensive STC-PMA Poly-Fiber brand. At this point in covering you have finished heat shrinking, rib stitching and applying all the tapes. I heat smothed all the seams again as the last step before beginning to paint. One thing that I might regret omitting may be washing the whole surface of the fabric before applying tapes or rib stitching with MEK. At this point however I'm not sure that it is really nessesary. Time will tell.About the paint. I used Sherwin Williams best grade exterior laytex. I choose this brand because of other builders experience with its ease of use and good durability. I spend a long time researching and talking with some experienced painters and they all agreed on the sturdiness of the product. They garentee the paint against fading shrinking, cracking and peeling. It is 100% UV formulated and has a 20 year warantee. The first coat over the bare fabric is unthinned flat black applied by brush. I used a good quality 4" brush. It helps to have a 2" brush to get around the small corners as well. This first coat is meant to fill the weave of the fabric. I took care to work it in, yet still leave it as thin as I could. It seems that even, thin coats prevent cracking and keep the weight down. After the whole plane is painted black I went back and gave the parts that would recieve a dark color (green) a second coat of black. The second coat I applied with an airless sprayer. Poly-Fiber says that this is a mistake, but I has good luck spraying the second primer coat and was pleased with the reduction in time it took. It also made for a smoother surface. Some argue that back in the 30"s and 40's that brush strokes were the norm. For those that would get a light finish color (white), I mixed flat white together with the black (50-50 ratio) for the second coat. At this point then the whole plane has been primed with two coats of flat paint. At this point you have the choice of going with straight laytex, or using an automotive enamal. I have seen both examples and the automotive finish will cost about $500-$800 more for two colors, or about $150 more for the latex. The auto enamal will naturally look glossy and lusterous. I didn't have the $$$'s or the equipment, or the desire for a glossy finish on my plane, so I choose to continue with the latex. For the color coats I used Sherwin Williams High Gloss products. I amnot a professional painter and I got a little excited when the plane began to show some color. Unfortunately I got over anxious and didn't let enough time lapse between coats and the fuselage coats sagged horribly. I panicked. I salvaged my botched attempt by rolling the whole mess with a short nape foam roller. I thought I had ruined the whole thing. The next morning however a miricale had occured and it turned out being fairly smooth. I took more time on the wings. The finished product looks good. I'm sure I could do better next time. I hand lettered the "Air Camper" logo on the side.A few additional hints.Paint in the while temps are in the 70's. I painted in higher temps and the exterior formula dried too quickly for propper wetting out and blending with previous coats.Dont be tempted to apply more than 3 color coats. You will notice that the finish gets more and more lustrous as you do. Beware, you are adding much unwanted weight and expence, and the likelyhood that thick buildups will crack.Experiment with applicators. I think that I will do my next finish coats with a roller. I sprayed my wings, in the heat of the day and feel that a roller combined with cooler temps would have given better results.Durability is good. I have tested with avgas and autofuels and the latex holds up against both. The primer however peels right off. Keep fuel away from parts without the finish coats. In spite of the fact that the finished product is fuel proof, It seems to be affected by standing water. I have noticed that during a rain storm the standing beads of water will fade the finish slightly. Panic time again. Really I didn't have to worry though, after the water evaporates the color returns without a hint of the previous problem. I waxed a test section and this eliminated the water spot problem.It has been nearly a year now that I have finised painting and I am very pleased to report that I have found no cracks or other problems. The plane has sat out through several snow, rain and ice storms without a problem. Touching up couldn't be easier, and the colors have remained vibrant. I figure that my paint costs were less than $200, and total covering cost including poly-fiber cements and coatings were less than $500. I doubt it will be an award winner for fine finish, but it will be inexpensive, durable, non-toxic, and protective for as long as I fly it. An added benifit is that I always have the option of spraying an auto finish right over the top if I want too.Hope this is of some use.Steve E________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Latex fabric finishing method

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Warren D. Shoun"
Hi Steve: Thanks for the very helpful and detailed description of your latex paint job.Great info and describes why I am on this chat group twice a day. Thanks again. Best Regards, Warren________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Latex fabric finishing method

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "David B. Schober"
Steve,Thanks for solving multiple mysteries...Cheap is good. Cheap and durable is great!.LarrySteve Eldredge wrote:> A little late, but as requested here is my experience using latex paint on> my aircamper.________________________________________________________________________________