Pietenpol-List: Ford A

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Mr. Carmen A. Natalie"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Ford A>I'm building a Piet with a Ford A as the 'motor'. Wondering if anyone>out there has bothered with an alternator or generator? Maybe on the>waterpump pulley, or even a wind generator? I plan on nav and landing,>panel and 'cargo' lights, so a 12v motorcycle battery will be mounted>against the firewall (between the front rudder pedals). Shouldn't be a>huge electrical load, and I wouldn't be flying for very long at night>(dusk), but I wanted to have lights as an option just in case I stayed>out too late ->>-Carmen>>-->---------------------->Mr. Carmen A. Natalie>President>CA Natalie Associates, Inc>CANA WebSystems>100 State Street Suite 1040>Albany, New York 12207>http://www.cana.com>phone 518.436.4932>fax 518.436.4933>---------------------->________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: steve(at)byu.edu
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Ford A>I'm building a Piet with a Ford A as the 'motor'. Wondering if anyone>out there has bothered with an alternator or generator? Maybe on the>waterpump pulley, or even a wind generator? I plan on nav and landing,>panel and 'cargo' lights, so a 12v motorcycle battery will be mounted>against the firewall (between the front rudder pedals). Shouldn't be a>huge electrical load, and I wouldn't be flying for very long at night>(dusk), but I wanted to have lights as an option just in case I stayed>out too late ->>-Carmen>>-->---------------------->Mr. Carmen A. Natalie>President>CA Natalie Associates, Inc>CANA WebSystems>100 State Street Suite 1040>Albany, New York 12207>http://www.cana.com>phone 518.436.4932>fax 518.436.4933>---------------------->________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gary Gower
I'm building a Piet with a Ford A as the 'motor'. Wondering if anyoneout there has bothered with an alternator or generator? Maybe on thewaterpump pulley, or even a wind generator? I plan on nav and landing,panel and 'cargo' lights, so a 12v motorcycle battery will be mountedagainst the firewall (between the front rudder pedals). Shouldn't be ahuge electrical load, and I wouldn't be flying for very long at night(dusk), but I wanted to have lights as an option just in case I stayedout too late - -Carmen-- ----------------------Mr. Carmen A. NataliePresidentCA Natalie Associates, IncCANA WebSystems100 State Street Suite 1040Albany, New York 12207http://www.cana.comphone 518.436.4932fax 518.436.4933----------------------________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Ford A

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Mr. Carmen A. Natalie
Thanks! I think the DC motor idea just might work. 8 amps would beplenty, I should think!A while back, I saw an article in SA about using a bicycle generator anda model airplane prop, and the fellow had pretty good results. He hadto use a prop that was pitched to be almost 'feathered', since at 65 mphhe was burning out bearings on the little generator if the prop had toolittle pitch (spinning way too fast..). Of course, some of my fellowPiet builders think any electrical is too much...! -CarmenJohn McNarry wrote:> > Hi Carmen> I started out building a "B" Ford engine for my Piet but partway through> it I found an ADC Cirrus Mk11 engine. The Cirrus is about the same weight as> the A but has 85 hp @1900 rpm. (If I can make it run again) I have been> considering methods of supplying a few light electrical loads. The Cirrus> has two Mags but Ive been thinking that I might replace one with electronic> ignition. That would require only a few amps. I also want to install Nav> lights and a strobe so the faster boys might see me better. Have you thought> about using a permanent magnet DC motor, aboout the size of a car heater> motor, fan driven? It should be reasonably light compared to a small> alternator. The excess voltage and current could be bled off through a zener> diode and heat sink the way some motorcycles and RV's do it. I haven't> actually tried wind driving a motor as a generator. But it worked using a> heater motor and a variable speed drill as the source. I mounted a diode on> the motor to act as a cut out an reved out the drill. I got it to charge at> about 8 amps at 14 volts. I've been wondering if a model airplane prop> would spin it fast enough. Hmm could hang it out of the car sunroof and try> it out at piet cruise speed.> > J Mc> > -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Mr. Carmen A. Natalie
Hi Carmen I started out building a "B" Ford engine for my Piet but partway throughit I found an ADC Cirrus Mk11 engine. The Cirrus is about the same weight asthe A but has 85 hp @1900 rpm. (If I can make it run again) I have beenconsidering methods of supplying a few light electrical loads. The Cirrushas two Mags but Ive been thinking that I might replace one with electronicignition. That would require only a few amps. I also want to install Navlights and a strobe so the faster boys might see me better. Have you thoughtabout using a permanent magnet DC motor, aboout the size of a car heatermotor, fan driven? It should be reasonably light compared to a smallalternator. The excess voltage and current could be bled off through a zenerdiode and heat sink the way some motorcycles and RV's do it. I haven'tactually tried wind driving a motor as a generator. But it worked using aheater motor and a variable speed drill as the source. I mounted a diode onthe motor to act as a cut out an reved out the drill. I got it to charge atabout 8 amps at 14 volts. I've been wondering if a model airplane propwould spin it fast enough. Hmm could hang it out of the car sunroof and tryit out at piet cruise speed.J Mc-----Original Message-----
matronics

> RE: Ford A

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>>> John Greenlee[SMTP:jgreenlee(at)morgan.net]
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Ford A>Anything I've heard about changing plans or not can be weighed both ways.If>no one every changed plans would we be flying Wright Flyers or maybe>Lillenthal gliders? I accept the cautions to keep it light. Brakes on grass>aren't necessary, but can you always be sure to land on grass? Tail skids>don't provide much directional control on pavement. I really hate the>thought of having taxied to a ramp with no brakes and find the aircraft>slowly rolling into someones high priced iron! Nav lights may be silly buta>strobe at dusk would sure help. I was out a dusk in a Citabria last evening>and heard other traffic on the radio, but it sure is hard to pick them out>even when the annouce were they are. There are small battery powered stobes>available. Anything to prevent a faster airplane from running over me is a>good idea. Well maybe encoding transponders on a Piet is too much!>>J Mc>-----Original Message----->From: Sayre, William G >To: Pietenpol Discussion >Date: Friday, October 23, 1998 10:13 AM>Subject: RE: Ford A>>>>What may be junk to one could be important to another.>>One might ask why carry the extra weight of brakes or controls in front.>>>>> ----------
matronics

Pietenpol-List: RE: Ford A

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> John Greenlee[SMTP:jgreenlee(at)morgan.net]
Subject: Pietenpol-List: RE: Ford A>What may be junk to one could be important to another.>One might ask why carry the extra weight of brakes or controls in front.>>> ----------
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> John Greenlee[SMTP:jgreenlee(at)morgan.net]
Subject: Pietenpol-List: RE: Ford A>What may be junk to one could be important to another.>One might ask why carry the extra weight of brakes or controls in front.>>> ----------
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> John Greenlee[SMTP:jgreenlee(at)morgan.net]
What may be junk to one could be important to another.One might ask why carry the extra weight of brakes or controls in front.> ----------
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Building per plans Was: Re: Ford A

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Sayre, William G
Changes are fine for those that know what they're doing, but anyonewho is listening who may be a beginner like me, DONT CHANGE THE PLANSunless you know exactly what you are doing, or have your change lookedat and approved by an expert. I thought about changing one or twothings on mine, then had myself a little daydream about my amateurairplane dropping out of the sky in a little ball and decided tolisten only to Mr. Pietenpol. He knew EXACTLY what he was doing, and Idon't.Richard---John Greenlee wrote:>> Good a.m.> > Brakes are on my list of useless junk. Most especially if you areusing a> Ford A.> > The controls in the front are on the plans.........> > Stick to the plans. Keep it light.> > John> > -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Sayre, William G
Anything I've heard about changing plans or not can be weighed both ways. Ifno one every changed plans would we be flying Wright Flyers or maybeLillenthal gliders? I accept the cautions to keep it light. Brakes on grassaren't necessary, but can you always be sure to land on grass? Tail skidsdon't provide much directional control on pavement. I really hate thethought of having taxied to a ramp with no brakes and find the aircraftslowly rolling into someones high priced iron! Nav lights may be silly but astrobe at dusk would sure help. I was out a dusk in a Citabria last eveningand heard other traffic on the radio, but it sure is hard to pick them outeven when the annouce were they are. There are small battery powered stobesavailable. Anything to prevent a faster airplane from running over me is agood idea. Well maybe encoding transponders on a Piet is too much!J Mc-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Mr. Carmen A. Natalie
Why screw up a perfectly good airplane by adding all that useless junk?Mike Brusilow had some negative experience using an electrical system systemwith an A. My thoughts are that if you want electrics, use a Corvair orsome other motor. I don't care how little your electric system weighs, youcan't afford the weight.Step back and think about how the airplane will really be used. I can'timagine needing lights. If you insist on being out after dark, just becareful to avoid landing in full view of any FAA personell.John-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Sayre, William G
Good a.m.Brakes are on my list of useless junk. Most especially if you are using aFord A.The controls in the front are on the plans.........Stick to the plans. Keep it light.John-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John McNarry
I've seen a small handheld strobe powered by a D cell. Be great to attachto airframe when flying at dusk.John-----Original Message-----
matronics

> Ford A

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Hinchman
> Subject: Ford A> > >I'm building a Piet with a Ford A as the 'motor'. Wondering if anyone> >out there has bothered with an alternator or generator? Maybe on the> >waterpump pulley, or even a wind generator? I plan on nav and landing,> >panel and 'cargo' lights, so a 12v motorcycle battery will be mounted> >against the firewall (between the front rudder pedals). Shouldn't be a> >huge electrical load, and I wouldn't be flying for very long at night> >(dusk), but I wanted to have lights as an option just in case I stayed> >out too late -> >> >-Carmen> >> >--> >----------------------> >Mr. Carmen A. Natalie> >President> >CA Natalie Associates, Inc> >CANA WebSystems> >100 State Street Suite 1040> >Albany, New York 12207> >http://www.cana.com> >phone 518.436.4932> >fax 518.436.4933> >----------------------> >-- ----------------------Mr. Carmen A. NataliePresidentCA Natalie Associates, IncCANA WebSystems100 State Street Suite 1040Albany, New York 12207http://www.cana.comphone 518.436.4932fax 518.436.4933----------------------________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> >> John Greenlee[SMTP:jgreenlee(at)morgan.net]
> Subject: RE: Ford A> > > >What may be junk to one could be important to another.> >One might ask why carry the extra weight of brakes or controls infront.> >> >> ----------
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> >> John Greenlee[SMTP:jgreenlee(at)morgan.net]
> Subject: RE: Ford A> > >What may be junk to one could be important to another.> >One might ask why carry the extra weight of brakes or controls in front.> >> >> ----------
matronics

>> RE: Ford A

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> >> John Greenlee[SMTP:jgreenlee(at)morgan.net]
>> Subject: RE: Ford A>>>> >What may be junk to one could be important to another.>> >One might ask why carry the extra weight of brakes or controls in front.>> >>> >> ----------